fbpx

 

After 135hrs, my 912S was not charging the battery properly. On inspection, found the 2 yellow generator wires burnt off where they connect to the voltage regulator at the G position.
I suspect the voltage regulator has failed but I'm unaware of any way of testing it. Has anyone else experienced this type of failure?
  • Re: Voltage Regulator Problem

    by » 11 years ago


    Thomas,

    You can download the heavy maintenance manual on this website and go to section 74-00-00. You can check the AC voltage on the yellow wires with the engine running. If you are getting proper voltage there, that will eliminate the generator as the problem. the burned wires sound very much like a shorted regulator. Check the battery and make sure it is OK and check the resistance across the capacitor. If the battery, capacitor, and AC voltage check out OK, it's probably the regulator. The Rotax regulator has to have a load to operate properly. If the voltage from the regulator cannot be absorbed by the battery or go to ground through the capacitor, it can cook the regulator. Regulators can't be repaired. If you have AC volts going in and too high or too low DC volts coming out, you probably need a new regulator. (DC volts should be around 13.5v). There are regulators on the market that do not require an external load to operate and they are much cheaper than the Rotax regulator.

    Bill.

  • Re: Voltage Regulator Problem

    by » 11 years ago


    Problem solved. Apparently the sensing wire had come off at the C position. Without it, the regulator won't accept power from the generator so those wires overheat and burn off. With the sensing wire re-attached and new wires made up for the generator output, everything works normally again.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.